History of Trebinje
Trebinje is first mentioned as Tribune in the 10th century at Constantine Porfirogenit. Then it was located on the caravan route that led from Koror and Dubrovnik to Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro. The town got its first urban contour in the Middle Ages. First, it was part of the Byzantine government, and then, until the 14th century, it was the centre of state Travunija, which was part of Nemanjici’s state. At the beginning of the New Ages and during the Middle Ages, Trebinje’s area was developing under the strong influence of the Byzantine, and in the 15th century, after long state independence, it fell under the centuries-old government administration of first the Ottoman Empire and then, until 1918, of the Austro-Hungarian empire. In the Middle Ages, less than 200 years, Trebinje was in the grip of Nemanjici, and then under the government administration of Tvrtko Kotromanic. Since 1377 until it fell in the grip of Turkish government (in 1466), Trebinje was part of the Bosnian Banat which was ruled by Kosace. Since 1466 until 1878, it was in the grip of Turkish government. Trebinje’s Old Town emerged at the beginning of the 18th century on the coast of the Trebisnjica River and it was called Ban Vir. Current Old Town – Kastel emerged from the former centre of trade and craft.
Reminders of Austro-Hungarian government are public buildings, head offices, military camps, schools, etc. That style has fit into the Mediterranean centre of Trebinje. Stormy history of this area has left its trails and monuments of cultural-historical heritage: medieval necropolis, where two signboards in cirilica (the 12th century), monastery Tvrdos (the 4th-6th century), monastery Duzi (the 16th century), St Paul and Peter’s monastery (the 4th-6th century) and monastery Zavala (the 13th century) have been discovered.