Language: ЋИР | LAT | EN | РФ
TREBINJE TURIZAM
Tourist organization of Trebinje
homehomehomehome
head
 
Cultural-historical monuments

arslaganica mostThe Perovica (Arslanagica) Bridge The Arslanagica Bridge was built by Mehmed-pasa Sokolovic in 1574, during Turkish occupation. It has been his pious endowment to his son who was killed in fights with Venetians. When Turks were pushed out of Herceg Novi in 1687, many Turkish families from this town moved to Trebinje. Among them there was Arslan-aga. He got possessions in the east from Trebinje: on Zubci, Necvjece and Jasen, as well as the right to charge bridge-toll across the bridge on the Trebisnjica River. Since then, the bridge was named the Arslanagica Bridge after him. By building hydroelectric system on the Trebisnjica River, the bridge finished under water of storage lake in 1965. At the request of Institute for protection of monuments of culture, the bridge has been dismantled and moved down the river in 1966, when vacation of the accumulation took place. The new location of the Arslanagica Bridge has been between settlement Gradina (on the right shore of the river) and settlement Police (on the left shore). Since 1993, the bridge has also been called the Perovica Bridge.

Sv. PreobrazenjeMinster of St. Transfiguration (the end of the 19th century)The Orthodox Church of St Transfiguration has been built since 1888 until 1908. It is located in the centre of the town. Well-known Montenegrin artist Marko Gregovic, who was helped by Atanasije Popovic, made iconostasis in this church. Next to the Church of St Transfiguration, an eparchy with library has been built. Choir of St Vasilije Ostroski also function as part of this temple.

katedralaThe Catholic Cathedral of nativity of the Virgin Mary (the end of the 19th century) Thousand years of existence of trebinjsko-mrkanske bishopric was celebrated in 1984. The bishopric was first mentioned in the bull of Benedict the 8th (1012 – 1024) that is published on the 27th September of 1022. During its long existence, the bishopric was passing through different difficulties that were caused by political and social factors. On the 31st may of 1984, the small church in honor of Virgin Mary was proclaimed cathedral.

Osman-pasina dzamijaThe Osman-pasa’s Mosque.This is the mosque located in the Old Town (Kastel), not far away from the main (west) gate and town's walls. It is built of ashlars and covered with quadrilateral roof, as imitation of cupola under etemit. Along the right wall is raised stone octagon minaret, 16 meters high, and it was one of the most beautiful minarets in Herzegovina. It was built in 1726 by orders of Osman-pasa Resulbegovic. Builders were masters from Dubrovnik. There are elements of Mediterranean architecture in its structure. It is believed to be the most spacious mosque in Herzegovina. It was demolished during the last war. Foundation stone for restoration was laid in 2001, on May 05. The mosque was inaugurated in 2005, on July 15. According to dimensions and materials which were used in its building, present Osman-pasa's mosque is authentic to the one which was demolished.

Careva dzamijaMosque Sultan Ahmed.This is the mosque located in the Old Town (Kastel), not far away from the main (west) gate and town's walls. It is built of ashlars and covered with quadrilateral roof, as imitation of cupola under etemit. Along the right wall is raised stone octagon minaret, 12 meters high. It is square in shape and without any architectural value. It was built by masons from Dubrovnik. In its construction has elements of Mediterranean architecture.

duziChurch of St Vasilije Tvrdoski and Ostroski in village Mrkonjici Village Mrkonjici is placed at the east side of Popovo Polje on road Trebinje – Ljubinje. In this village on the 28th of December, 1610 holy man Vasilije Ostroski was born. His baptismal name was Stojan, his mother’s name Anastasija and his father’s name Peter Jovanovic. On red-letter day of St Vasilije Tvrdoski and miracle-worker Ostroski, the 12th may of 1998, in Village Mrkonjici in Popovo Polje, the temple consecrated to St Vasilije was made sacred. The temple has been raised on the foundations of the native house of the great holy man and placed at the right side of the road when you come from the direction of Trebinje. At the left side of the road, there is St Nikolaj’s temple in which the saint was baptized. Next to the temple, there is graveyard where St Ana, St Vasilije’s mother, has rested.

Crkva sv. Klimenta St Kliment’s church (the 15th century) St Kliment’s church, known to folk as Klimentica, is the typical Mediterranean medieval small church made of stone. It is placed on the right shore of the Trebisnjica River, in village Mostaci. It is considered one of the oldest churches in our area. This church is interested because of its bright paintings that are on all walls, from the top to the bottom. Decoration of this church, together with other important churches from the period of Turkish occupation of our areas, has, first of all, huge value as Cultural-Historical monument.

Crkva sv. Klimenta St Archangel’s church (the 16th century)In village Arhandelovo, near Lastva, in the east from Trebinje, there is the church, which has been consecrated to St Archangel Mihajlo. Although there is no precise information about its building, it is assumed that it was built at the end of the 16th century or at the beginning of the 17th century.


Crkva svetog Ilije u selu MesariChurch of St. Ellia Church St. Elias is on the top of the hill Elijah (Elijah's head) in the village Mesari, north of the main road Trebinje - Mostar. Situated on the edge of Popovo field, 20 kilometers west of Trebinje. Church of St. Elijah the triple conch, which has repeatedly repaired. The last time, according to the inscription on architrave beam, it was the 1897 year. This church has a before Romanesque style character and is considered to be probably the original church was built in the period from IX to XI period. Among the oldest buildings in Herzegovina. Church of St. Elijah the crowd with prehistoric burial (tumulus) and tombstones in the necropolis Mesari declared a national monument of BiH 2008 year.

1.	Fortification “Strac” Fortification “Strač” Trebinje is surrounded by former Austrian military fortifications. One of them (according to the story the second biggest on Balkan) is fortification “Strač” above Trebinje. It is situated in the southeast from Trebinje and it is possible to arrive there by car by an old Austrian road that leads from hill Crkvina to village Rapti, and then, on right side from Rapti, at the distance of about 2km, at the top of the hill is hidden miracle of architecture for that and for all times. It is said that “Strač” had 365 rooms in walls that are 1 meter and more thick. All the rooms were mutually linked and they had the system of inflow of fresh air and rain-water is used for water supplying. At the top of the fortification there are iron cupolas whose walls are over 30 centimeters thick. From the fortification there is a view of Zubci, Petrovo polje, Trebinjska šuma, Trebinje and so on. Unfortunately, “Strač” is quite harmed after Second World War.

Branković’s tower Branković’s tower It is assumed that old and the first Trebinje was situated from the church at the river and to the top of Crkvina which dominates by that area. Brankovic's tower is also placed in that area. Logic says that it is impossible that the tower of guards is far away from settlement, and in this case it is Trebinje. Although no any later data state precisely where the centre of that area was, we can say with confidence that Brankovic's tower had very important role in that old Trebinje.
The Brankovic were an old and respectable family. They lived and worked in the period of the biggest rise of Serb's state, in the period of king Milutin and Stefan Decanski, as well as king and tsar Dusan. They were on historic stage from the first part of the 14th until the first part of the 16th century. In Sank Petersburg, in museum, the belt with embroided name Branko and lion as symbol of the Brankovic's house is kept. Vuk is the youngest Branko's son. He was born in 1345. In the time of collapse of Serbian empire he withdraws to Kosovo.
Brankovic's tower in Police represents one of older and not so well known monuments of our past. There are opinions that this tower, which dominates by the area which habitants still call Brankovina, did not belong to the Brankovic but it is Greek or Turkish. However, according to historic data and existence of Mladen, founder of the family Brankovic who was master of Trebinje in 1323, as well as existence of his son Branko, these claims are refuted and we can say with confidence that Brankovic's tower really belonged to the Brankovic.

katedrala Roman bridge Vučija Roman bridge on Vucija is big secret as well as all old bridges whose building we put to credit of Turks or Austrians or even Romans. Roman bridge on Vucija is the most interesting and it is seems to be the oldest one. It was probably built at the same time as Lastva's towers. Old bridge on Susica on Vucija is placed between two big rocks and it connects two steep parts under the river. The bridge used to be called Old Bridge, Greek Bridge, and bridge on Susica, and habitants outside Vucija call it Vucijanski Bridge. It is built from cut stone and upper arches from dripstone. Upper part from dripstone is joined by semicircular arches so that it is very nice impression and it fits into natural surroundings. On this territory, at the time of Romans, there was the road which leaded from Dubrovnik to Montenegro. This bridge is considered to be built in the 18th century. There is a legend which says that at the time of queen Kuljaca there was the same bridge like this one on Zaslapnica, farther down for about 200 meters, and that it was taken away by rising waters.

micevacMicevac near Trebinje Old Town Micevac was located in Trebinje’s parish on the right shore of the Trebisnjica River. We do not know when it was raised but the tradition has it that it was raised by duke Miceta, so it was named after him. According to Dubrovnik’s chronicle, Lukarije, Micevac was first referred to as fortification in 1042. The most important role it had while it was in the grip of the Pavlovic, herceg Stjepan and his son Vladislav. Then, after strong resistance in 1466, it fell into power of Turkish government, together with Trebinje.
klobukKlobuk (at the frontier with Montenegro)Klobuk is placed at the very frontier of Herzegovina with Montenegro. During last few centuries, this was the place of considerable world historical events. Old Town – fortress of the same name, is the oldest at the territory of BiH, and Napoleon’s troops were coming under its walls. It has been established in the 9th century and since then in continuity it has been part of Serbian medieval state. In Old Town Klobuk there are graves of Kosovo’s heroes, and thanks to the strong resistance to Turks, some historians also call it Serbian Masada. Today here there are only remains of the fortress walls from the Turkish period when this town was finally conquered and ruined by Austria-Hungary.